#2715 Is F4 IDE dead?

Ilove:= Sat 3 Nov

It's in ver 1.1 for a long time but no new release nor updates, and still using eclipse 4.6 as base. On Windows, it has problem with Zulu Jdk : it use 2x memory compared with Oracle Jdk. Other Java apps don't affected, Pixelitor image editor run fine with small footprint under Zulu Jdk. Sometime, the whole IDE hangs for a while when building workspace (problem started when my projects become many and big in size).

SlimerDude Sat 3 Nov

While Xored Inc originally created F4, I confess to personally developing the large v1.1 update the other year that brought the project out of stagnation.

Earlier this year I did some work on a v1.1.2 release, these are the pull requests:

As I'm not an admin on the F4 GitHub project (and I don't work for Xored) I can't create or publish updates and releases. I did ask Xored to publish the v1.1.2 release at the time, but they were on holiday. I didn't ask or remind them again because I wanted to first make some adjustments to this fix - which I never got round to.

still using eclipse 4.6

My v1.1.2 still uses Eclipse 4.6 Neon. Xored are the real Eclipse experts so I defer to them for making updates to the platform. But as 4.6 can't run on Java 9, it would be nice if F4 were updated in this respect.

it has problem with Zulu Jdk

I can't comment as I've never tried it, but I suspect F4 would herald better results if the underlying eclipse platform were to be updated.

Sometime, the whole IDE hangs for a while when building workspace (problem started when my projects become many and big in size)

Yes. F4 has always suffered from project build thrashing. (Cutting down on the number of open projects can help.)

This is one of the big enhancements to v1.1.2. I made many optimisations and changes to v1.1.2 that drastically cuts down on the project build thrashing and, in the 6 months I've been using it, I've not had F4 hang on me since. Sometimes opening and closing a project (with 50+ pod dependencies) may be a bit slow, but nothing disastrous.

In terms of the future development of the F4 IDE, the problem that I (personally) have is that it's based on the Eclipse Dynamic Languages ToolKit (DLTK). Not that DLTK is bad, but it's codebase (as well as the entire eclipse platform) is HUGE. Everything is abstracted, loosely coupled, and the documentation is sparse at best. So when looking at problems, even if I can figure out where to start looking, I very easily get lost. And given all the original developers have since moved on from Xored, there's no one to ask either. :(

This is probably a longer answer than you wanted, but it hopefully explains where the F4 project is at.

Ilove:= Sat 3 Nov

I understood, thanks. What about a fork or custom build of F4 with SlimerDude label? :) The project's git repo last updated since 2016, it's 3 years.

SlimerDude Sat 3 Nov

I believe Xored will be happy to continue releasing my F4 updates (as they did a massive amount of work and a great job on F4 in the first place), I just need to prod them a bit more. ;)

In the mean time, these are my GitHub branches:

If you want to try out my updates, I've just re-built my branch and uploaded them here:

Jay Herron Mon 5 Nov

Great discussion - I was about to post something similar late last week, highlighting the same concerns. F4 is by far my favorite Fantom IDE, but it would be really nice to run it on newer versions of Java. It's also good to hear that Xored is responsive to pull requests, I may start trying to make a few contributions.

KevinKelley Mon 5 Nov

Yes, thanks for those, Steve, this is cool and useful.

Andrey Zakharov Thu 8 Nov

Is it works? It doesnt build anything in imported project and doesnt want to debug it.

SlimerDude Thu 8 Nov

It doesnt build anything in imported project

That seems odd.

Where do you expect the pods to be built to?

What settings do you have in the F4 Env and Compiler settings?

What do you see in the Fantom Build Console?

Fantom Build Console

Login or Signup to reply.